Our experts choose the best products and services to help make smart decisions with your money (here's how). In some cases, we receive a commission from our partners; however, our opinions are our own. Terms apply to offers listed on this page.
- The new
Rocket Visa Signature® Card - Product Name Onlyis hands-down the best credit card for those looking to close on a house.
- You'll earn 5 points per dollar on all purchases — but the value you get from them depends on how you use them.
- You'll get 1 cent per point when using your rewards toward closing costs and down payment on a mortgage via Rocket.
- Read Insider's guide to the best rewards credit cards.
Have you ever heard of a credit card that earns 5% back on all purchases?
That type of return is mythical — many of the best 5% back credit cards offer this earning rate for a select few purchases — and with little exception, there is a firm cap on the bonus rewards you can earn.
The card comes with an annual fee of
Currently, the card is only accessible to those who already have a mortgage through Rocket. But it'll soon be available to everyone. If you're looking to buy a home — or are already paying a mortgage — this card is worth a look.
We're focused here on the rewards and perks that come with each card. These cards won't be worth it if you're paying interest or late fees. When using a credit card, it's important to pay your balance in full each month, make payments on time, and only spend what you can afford to pay.
The new Rocket Card is an excellent deal for prospective home buyers
The relatively new
Now, there's a "best credit card" for those looking to close on a house: the
As you may have guessed, the
Rocket credit card rewards
The card earns 5 Rocket points per dollar for all purchases. You can redeem them for:
- Your retail Rocket mortgage loan closing costs, including down payment, at a rate of 1 cent each — effectively giving you 5% back
- Your Rocket Mortgage principal at a rate of 0.4 cents each — effectively giving you 2% back
- A statement credit to your card at a rate of 0.25 cents each — effectively giving you 1.25% back
As you can see, the card is underwhelming if you foresee yourself redeeming points for either a statement credit or against your Rocket Mortgage principal. There are plenty of no-annual-fee credit cards that earn a flat 2% cash back on all purchases — and you can use those rewards for whatever you want.
For example, the
However, if you foresee yourself buying a house with a mortgage through Rocket, this card is a no-brainer.
If we're being technical, this card does have a cap as to how many points you can redeem at a rate of 1 cent each. You can redeem up to $8,000 worth of points toward a new Rocket Mortgage transaction, applied as a credit to your closing statement. But that would take $160,000 in credit card spending to achieve.
Rocket card benefits
Because this card is a Visa Signature card, you'll get Visa Signature-associated benefits such as:
- Extended warranty protection — Double your qualifying warranty, up to one year
- Porch piracy protection — Up to $10,000 in coverage for stolen items
- Cell phone protection — Up to $750 in coverage when you use the card to pay your phone bill each month ($50 deductible required)
This card is heavily integrated into the Rocket Money app, which helps you to keep track of financial goals, a real-time budget, your credit score, and even a concierge that works to identify any of your bills that could potentially be lower. The concierge will try to negotiate better rates for you.
What you need to know about the Rocket Visa Signature Card
That's quite specific, but the value that can come from this card is amazing. You'll earn effectively 5% back on all purchases on up to $160,000 in spending when redeeming your rewards for Rocket mortgage loan closing costs, including the down payment. No other card on the market can keep up with a return like that.
The other redemption options (credit card statement credit, current mortgage principal payments) are inferior. If you think you'll be using your rewards this way, open a cash-back credit card, such as the